Tuesday, May 11, 2010

R.I.P. Frank Frazetta

I was saddened to hear of the death of the legendary Frank Frazetta this morning.

The Vault of Horror did a nice write-up about his life and legacy.



The amazing Conan paperback covers were my introduction to Frazetta's work - and to a world of larger than life heroes, monsters and oh yeah... those luxuriously captivating women!  I would spend hours falling into those canvases and swimming in those scenes that seemed so real - a doorway into another world. My limited brain could not begin to fathom how a person could dream up, yet alone put on canvas such extraordinary images.


Others like Boris Vallejo and Chris Achillios would follow, but none could touch the blazing talent of the master.  He was a prodigious talent, a huge atlas of a man whose broad shoulders many, many people would stand on to produce much of what we know of the visual language of fantasy, sci-fi, sword & sorcery, and horror.

Frank was an overwhelming influence on me as a young artist and continues to shape the way I view composition, color, and dramatic tension within the image.

He will be tremendously missed, but we are fortunate that his visions will live on forever in the fabric of our daily lives.

2 comments:

  1. I always read funny cartoons. Like Ten-Ten and Asterix but Conan affected me his fantastic personality because of magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, very cool blog you got here. Personally I just started one about what I think could be the journey of my life (though not globally). If you're interested, pay me a visit, follow my blog or leave a comment. I have a supsicion people might relate to it, and perhaps find some comfort or recognition in it.

    Greetz,

    a Dreamer

    ReplyDelete